Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Shabby Chic Bird Cage


This little vintage bird cage was a very ugly dark green when I found it. I have been wishing for an old bird cage for awhile now. This isn't exactly what I had in mind, but I thought it was cute and knew I could paint it and had some ideas! I spray painted it white and then took an emery board and distressed it very slightly. I didn't want it to look too perfect! I found some teacups that barely fit inside. I love the unexpected pairing of teacups in a bird cage! I found some pieces of ephemera that looked lovely with the cups and clipped them onto the cage with antique wooden clothespins. I added a handmade coffee-stained bird tag and a skeleton key because it needed some touches that weren't too "sweet"~ it just needed a kiss of grunge! What's fun about this little cage is that it's only about 12 inches tall. It doesn't take up too much space and can easily be moved about to different vignettes in my home! The little brass bird is considering whether he wants to fly out or not. In the end.....he finds his wings and flutters off to a new adventure!

1 comment:

It's me said...

What nice !!!...lovely decorated !! enjoy a beautiful summer....love Ria....xxx...