Monday, June 20, 2011

Little Cottontail

Today my husband and I took a walk around our local golf course. There is a walking path that is paved and goes around the perimeter. As we were chatting and walking we noticed a wee baby bunny. He was so so so little and could have fit in my hand. He was not afraid at all. He was busy chewing on some clovers. I inched a bit closer and was able to get about three feet away before he decided to scoot. His little ears were so very tiny. There was a definite cute-factor to this little baby.
This encounter started me thinking about when I was a little girl. My grandmother and grandfather would come and visit and usually would bring a bag of grocery goodies with luxury treats and sometimes a Little Golden Book for me. Do you remember when they were always sold in the grocery stores? One of my favorite stories was the story of Little Cottontail. I loved that book. It is so sweet. The mommy bunny teaches her little cottontail baby all about what bunnies need to know to be grown-up. When I became a mother I enjoyed sharing this darling book with my children.
If you are about my age....um 40 something....did you have Little Golden Books? Did you look at the pictures on the back and see which books you already had and which ones you wanted? There is something to endearing about those Little Golden Books. They speak to a simpler and more innocent time.




1 comment:

It's me said...

Oh so sweeet !! happy day...love Ria....xxx...