Monday, April 9, 2012

Maple Granola Recipe

I have always loved homemade granola. When I found this recipe in my Country Living magazine, I thought I would give it a try. I used chopped pecans in place of the other nuts and seeds because it was more readily available to me. I also did not use the corn syrup. The maple syrup alone is sweet enough. I bought my maple syrup in a large bottle from Sam's Club as well as my pecans. I bought the rolled oats from Wal Mart. You can add whatever fruit or nuts you like and serve with milk or yogurt. I like golden raisins. The maple syrup gives this such a buttery rich flavor.
 
U.S. Metric
  • 4 cup(s) rolled oats
  • 2 1/2 ounce(s) (about 1/2 cup) dried apricots, chopped
  • 2 1/2 ounce(s) (1/2 cup) dried cranberries
  • 3 ounce(s) (3/4 cup) almonds, chopped
  • 3 ounce(s) (3/4 cup) walnuts, chopped
  • 1 1/2 ounce(s) (6 tablespoons) raw pumpkin seeds
  • 1 ounce(s) (3 tablespoons) raw unhulled sesame seeds
  • 1/4 cup(s) vegetable oil, plus more for pans
  • 3/4 cup(s) pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
  • 1/4 cup(s) light corn syrup
  • 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
  • Yogurt, for serving

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a large bowl, add first 7 ingredients and toss until combined.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk remaining ingredients, except yogurt. Pour over dry ingredients and mix. Spread granola in 2 oiled baking pans. Bake until golden, about 45 minutes, turning granola every 10 minutes. Cool in pans. Break up granola. (Granola can be stored, in an airtight container, for up to 3 weeks.) Serve with yogurt and syrup.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

This looks so wonderful, especially since I am on the atkins diet right now... trying to get off of carbs, so boring!
Thanks so much for stopping by... yes, my whole house smells of lilac, it is wonderful :)
Blessings today
Rebecca