Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Trying to Grow


I absolutely LOVE sunflowers! In my favorite movie, "You've Got Mail", Meg Ryan proclaims that "daisies are the friendliest flower." Sunflowers are just daisies on steroids! I spent a lot of time searching for the perfect variety of sunflowers to grow in my little patch. I have grown sunflowers before. I come from a long family history of amazing gardeners. I grew up in a garden....literally! So, I direct sowed my seeds and began watching. Let's just say, the weather here in Northwest Iowa has not been especially conducive to direct sown seeds. Too cold and too dry. I have a few little emerging seedlings struggling against the elements. I have watered them and watched them. Some got killed by frost, some dried up and the BUGS have been chewing them up. So, I just bought another seed pack. Let's not give up. Let's try again. This August I WILL have sunflowers in my yard! I am determined!

No comments: